Thursday 31 March 2011

Jean Auel

The author of the Earth's Children series, Jean Auel, was interviewed on Woman's Hour on Radio 4 on Monday. The interview is available for a few more days here (it starts at 31min 40sec). I have only read The Clan of the Cave Bear, which is the first in the series.  It was one of the first books I took out of the library when I got my adult ticket. I was probably about 12 or 13. I absolutely devoured it, loved it. I remember that my dad was a bit disapproving, he asked me if it wasn't 'a bit racy!' I remember that clearly because I was so embarrassed! For some reason I never read any more of the series, possibly there weren't any more in the library, or possibly I just didn't want to have to sneak them past my dad! They are immensely popular books and have sold 45 million copies. And apparently Hillary Clinton is a fan.

4 comments:

  1. I have never read Jean Auel. Not the kind of genre I go for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo - probably 30 years since I read Clan of the Cave Bear. She sounded a really lovely woman in the interview, I'm tempted to re-read it and relive my childhood! Can't argue with 45 million copies sold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard the interview as well. I've never read anything by Auel but I've just been given the first book in the series and although I wasn't certain if it was my sort of thing, having heard her speak I might now give it a try. Are you going to read the rest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie - I would like to read them, but we're back to the problem with series again! I think I've got 5 series on the go at the moment. And I think the Children of Earth books are proper doorstoppers, so it would be a commitment.

    ReplyDelete