Thursday 7 July 2011

The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin

This book is the first in the Erast Fandorin series. Erast Fandorin is a young man who is in his third week as a policeman in Moscow in 1876. He has been brought up to expect a wealthy, comfortable life but his parents have died and left him needing to support himself. He comes across the case of a rich young man who has committed suicide in a public park. The man's behaviour before he shoots himself, his strange suicide note and especially the fact that there was only one bullet in the six-chambered gun arouse Fandorin's suspicions. He gets permission to investigate further and his investigations take him into the upper echelons of Moscow society and the disturbing nihilism of its youth.
I enjoyed this book while I was reading it, but I have to say that it didn't really stay with me once I'd finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment